Sunday, August 16, 2009

Another RODEO-Ode to Badger

Well the Cache County Rodeo and Fair came to town at the beginning of August. Some friends and I planned a trip and I managed to convince my city slicker brothers to join me for a new experience. Their favorite part was cowboy poker where four cowboys sat at a table in the arena while they let a bull lose. The last cowboy sitting at the card table won! Fun way to start out the evening!
Our clown was pretty good and kept us laughing all night. We had one true country boy in our group and it was almost more fun to see him react to the jokes!


It was just a great night out with friends. I really love spending time with this group of quality friends. To be totally honest, the rodeo wasn't the best I've been to. No one made a qualifying time on the bulls and there were only a few really good rides on the broncs. But a rodeo's a rodeo and fun any which way!
There was one part that was pretty cool. This guy came with his show team of Percherons. He drove a team of six behind a wagon and then came out later standing on the back two. One of the team is the largest registered Percheron in the US standing at 19.2 3/4 hands at the withers. That is a big horse! It made me miss my old friend Badger from Ensign Ranch. He was a part Percheron/Shire and a great gentle giant. I remember just going back into his pen or pasture and getting him to step over to a fence so we could swing up on him and just ride him around the pasture. There was another time I was frustrated with something going on a the ranch. I went into his pen to just think and he came over and gave me a hug with his massive head! He was one of the only horses E and I could take out in the winter with three feet of snow on the ground. We would just throw a wool blanket on him and jump on and he would keep us warm and take care of us. I've been blessed to know some great horses and he was the best! So the rodeo was fun. I'm sure I'll be back next year!