Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rexburg-The Work of a Child is Play

Monday morning mom and I drove up to Rexburg, ID to babysit the grandkids for a couple of days. It was an adventure from day one! We left in the morning under the Logan haze. I guess Logan is known for its terrible inversions and we experienced it first hand for the first time. It was worse than a heavy fog but as we were crossing the valley on Hwy. 30 things begin to clear and turned into a beautiful morning for a drive. 
We got to Rexburg and relieved the neighbor who had been watching the children. Then the games began! It is always a wonderful adventure with Grandma. She knows all the good games and how to be creative with just a piece of paper. The kids were entertained all morning making "creatures" out of pipe cleaner and crowns out of squares of paper. In no 
time at all, Rachel became the "Queen of Egypt" with her impressive headdress. We also went out back and harvested the last of the garden vegtables. Most of them had been ruined for eating by the weekend frost but they were perfect for fall decorations and we had fun adorning the front door. The kids were so proud of their achievement.
Next was the park of course. I was glad I kept my camera ready to catch some of these candid shots. I love my niece and nephews! Mikael was especially photogenic and 
these shots just make me smile! This one taken through the play set floor is currently the desktop 
picture on my computer and brings 
a smile to my face every time I open my computer! 
It turns out Grant is an amazing soccer player in the making. He
kicks left and loves running after the ball. His current most valuable possessions are his cleated tennis shoes which he must wear everywhere. When we were all tired from running around we played the laughing game and the kids all attacked Aunt Jenn. I must admit defeat as I was most often found on the bottom of the pig pile. 
Day two brought cold weather but nothing that would keep us indoors. We all took a dip in the hot tub before the morning frost melted and then after some reading headed back outside and
 to the famous Porter Park. The ice on the trees bore witness to the temperature but we were not deterred. We had a lot of fun playing tag and enjoying the play ground. I just liked 
following the kids around listening to their stories of how this play set was a castle or a jet or a boat. There are no limits to a child creativity and it was refreshing to be around that again. I think too often I get caught up in the worries of adults. We stress about so many things, especially now, with all the currents events effecting our nation. But two days with these children reminded me that there is joy to be found in color paper and pipe cleaners and that dreams are for everyone. Lets learn a lesson from the children, who the Savior commanded us all to be more like, and learn to find joy in the small things and play hard everyday.

No comments: